OUR LADY OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH
The church was one of the first to be built in Goa, certainly
being there by 1541. The early church was completely re-built
from its foundations in 1619 and this was even considered,
taking accountof the still negligible population of the area
and the size of the new church, is a striking commentary on
the religious climateof the time and the wealth available
to the churches.
The interior of the church is relatively simple by the standards
of the time although the backdrop to the main altar, dedicated
to Mary Immaculate, is impressive enough.
However, it is the two flanking altars that catch the eye,
that on the left dedicated to Jesus Crucified and that on
the right to Our Lady of the Rosary.
Each is a riot of heavily gilded, deeply carved ornamentation,
yet compact and controlled, a fine example of the period.
At the side of each is a marble statue, one of St Peter and
one of St Paul.
In the south transept to the right of the main altar is a
Chapel of St. Francis Xavier, whose glass-encased statue occupies
the centre of the reredos.