THE CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY, GOA
Not far to the west of the Basilica of the Bom Jesus is the
Holy Hill at the extremity of which is the Church of Our Lady
of the Rosary. Built of laterite and plastered with lime mortar,
it has a two-storeyed portico. The portico as well as the
façade of the church has rounded towers on either side
with the cross on top. The roof of the church is tiled, supported
by wooden rafters.
The Chapels And Altars
There are two chapels and three altars. The main altar is
dedicated to our Lady of the Rosary. The church, with windows
near the roof and with rounded towers giving an impression
of a fortress church, is Manuline in style though Gothic influence
can be seen in the rib-vault at the portico.
Cenotaph Of Dona Catarina
To the right of the main altar is a marble cenotaph commemorating
Dona Catarina whose marriage with Viceroy Garcia De Sa was
performed by St. Francis Xavier. The cenotaph slightly projecting
from the wall is artistically decorated with carved miniature
pillars and inscriptions in Portuguese and has a triangular
pediment crowned by a shell moulding. The foliage and other
decorations emanating from a vase closely resemble those on
the tombs of Gujarat, thus suggesting influence of a regional
This votive chapel was built in fulfilment of a vow taken
by Afonso de Albuquerque while reviewing the battle between
his forces and those of the Bijapur sultan from the same spot,
on which the church stands. The vow, however, could be fulfilled
only after his death, since this church was built in 1544-49.
Location : Holy Hill, Old Goa, Panjim, Goa.