THE CHURCH OF ST. FRANCIS XAVIER
Behind the gate of St. Paul's college is a Kuchcha road branching
off the main road, leading to the chapel of St. Francis Xavier.
It is built of laterite plastered with lime mortar, with tiled
roof supported by wooden rafters is a plain chapel with only
Architecturally, it is of the Doric order. The Chapel was
within the enclosure of the College of St. Paul and was dedicated
either to St. Anthony or to St. Jerome. As the chapel was
used by St. Francis Xavier, it was re-dedicated to him after
his canonization in 1622.
The original chapel was in existence in 1545. With the outbreak
of the epidemic and the consequent abandoning of the college
of St. Paul in 1570, the chapel fell into ruins and the present
chapel was built in 1884.
Location Old Goa, Panjim, Goa.