GOA CATALOGUE

      HOME >> GOA CATALOGUE >> TEMPLES >> STOP 6-11





TEMPLES [STOP 6-11]


STOP 1-5 STOP 6-11


Stop 6 MAHADEV TEMPLE, TAMBDI SURLA
Few people have the inclination to visit Tambdi Surla Temple because of its remote location, but if time permits drive down to this village in Sanguem. Here, in an isolated
Spot on a grassy knoll amidst thickly wooded trees, with towering hills for a backdrop, this 13th century Temple presents a dramatic and even a trifle mysterious picture. The Temple itself lies along East-west axis, which makes it similar to temples from south India. It is beautifully carved from black basalt and the plinth has three simple moldings. The sabhamandapa or antarala (entrance hall) has ten different pillars. The square, open mandapa has four freestanding pillars and pilasters on its walls. One of the pillars has a relief of an elephant at its base. The two tiered shikara above the garbhagriha has miniature relief carvings for four deities- Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and Parvati. There is a lingam on a low recessed pitha in the garbhagriha. The ceilings are decorated with floral motifs. Like the famous temple of Dharwar district in Karnataka, this too is devoid of embellishments on the exterior.
Location: Near Mollem National Park in Sanguem in south east Goa, 73 km east of Panjim and 40 km from Ponda.
Timing: sunrise to sunset.

 


Stop 7 LAXMI NARASIMHA, VELINGA
In an idyllic thickly wooded setting is the 18th century Shri Lakshmi Narasimha Temple. This temple’s deity was transferred from sancoale near Vasco-Da-Gama in 1567. The original entrance is at the rear of the temple. Set into the hillside is a tank with an elaborate gateway fringed by coconut palms. The tiled roofs of the temple have a pitch and character reminiscent of the roof forms in kerala. The gaily-painted mandapa has stout, richly carved pillars, carved elephants and tigers. The sanctum with the deity surrounded in silver splendour is open only to believers.
Location: the turn off fro Velinga is opposite the turn off to Priol on NH4A.
Timing: 7 am to 8.30 pm.

 

 

Stop 8 DEVAKI-KRISHNA TEMPLE AT MARCHEL
Like many of Goa's temples, the Devaki-Krishna Temple at Marchel was moved here from two previous locations, to be safe from oppression. The beautiful and unusual image in black stone is of the baby Krishna on his mother, Devaki's hip. Could the Baby Jesus and his Mother, Mary, represented in so many of the neighboring churches here have given this temple its inspiration, or is it simply an astonishing coincidence of the overlapping of Western and Eastern traditions?

 

 

Stop 9 SHREE SANUSTHAN GOKARN PARTHAGALI JEEVOTHAM MATH, PARTHAGALI
This Math is situated at Parthagali, in Canacona taluka. It is a math of the Gaud Saraswat community, and was established in 1475 by Swamiji Shreemad Narayanateertha. It is headed by a Swamiji, an uninterrupted lineage of over 23 so far. In the campus lies a Banyan tree, considered to be a "Tapasya Kshetra", the site of "revelation" of the "inner self" by the process of meditation. There are few temples in the campus.

 

 

Stop 10 SHRI MAHALAXMI TEMPLE - PANAJI

Shri Mahalaxmi Temple is located at the Altinho foothill of Panaji and was built on contributions made by devotees in 1817. The deity is Goddess Mahalakshmi, the Hindu Goddess of Wealth, made of black stone, with four hands and is placed in a silver canopy. This is the peaceful or Satvik form of Devi. According to the Shakti cult (worship of power), Mahalakshmi is the original Goddess who takes forms according to three aspects or gunas viz. Brahma (peaceful, calm form or satva), Vishnu (creative action or rajas) and Shiva (destruction or tamas). The deity originally from Mayem in Bicholim taluka was transferred to the present site.

 

 

Stop 11 SHRI DAMODAR, ZAMBAULIM
Shri Damodar temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is situated on the banks of the Kushavati River, which is said to have medicinal properties.
The original temple of this deity was situated in Margao. The deity was transferred to its present location in the year 1567 when the Portuguese brought down the original temple and built the Church of the Holy Spirit in its place.
The main festival celebrated at this temple is Holi. Loads of devotees from all over Goa join in the celebrations. This colourful event is celebrated with pomp and gaiety for several days.


STOP 1-5 STOP 6-11

 





Site Designed and Hosted By: Goa Web Solutions